New Franklin, Ohio– The Summit County Engineer's Office has obtained a County Engineer’s Association of Ohio (CEAO) grant for the replacement of the existing Vanderhoof Road Bridge over the Tuscarawas River located in the City of New Franklin between Van Buren Road and Grove Road. The existing bridge, built in 1929, is an 82 feet long single span, through girder, with a deck that is 27 feet wide and carries approximately 3,300 vehicles per day.
The CEAO grant will pay for 80% of the estimated $785,000 project with the Summit County Engineer’s share of the Motor Vehicle Gas Tax paying the remaining 20%. The engineering firm Jones Stuckey, A Division of Pennoni, is designing the improvement. Right-of-way will be acquired from two adjacent property owners later this year, and the project will be constructed in 2017. The bridge will be closed during construction and traffic will be detoured along Van Buren Road, Center Road, and Manchester Road. Construction is expected to be completed in 2017. The replacement bridge will be located on the same alignment as the existing bridge, it will be slightly higher to permit the passage of 100 year storm events, and will be 32 feet wide to accommodate two 12 foot wide lanes with 4 foot wide shoulders on each side. The new bridge will be approximately 104 feet long to avoid any in river work during construction. The duration of the closure is 120 days.