Update 12/5/14: The Shaw Road Bridge is now open.
Bath Township, Ohio– Summit County Engineer Alan Brubaker, PE, PS is pleased to announce that the Shaw Road Bridge Replacement Project has received an emergency funding grant award from the Ohio Public Works Commission. On Monday, May 12, 2014 at roughly 7:30pm, a severe storm hit Bath Township, Ohio. Three to four inches of rain fell within a very short period and a tornado warning was issued. Flash floods shortly followed the storm and the swelling creeks and streams damaged local infrastructure. The Shaw Road Bridge over Yellow Creek collapsed under the force of the water and debris.
Since then, the Summit County Engineer’s office has been moving quickly to get the bridge replaced as soon as possible. Summit County Council passed legislation declaring the bridge collapse an “emergency”, allowing the Engineer’s office to bypass normal bidding procedures in order to get the bridge designed and constructed within 2014.
The Summit County Engineer’s office has sought and received emergency funding from the Ohio Public Works Commission to replace the Shaw Road Bridge. The OPWC will provide 80% of the funding of the estimated $310,000 bridge replacement project. The remaining 20% will come from local County Engineer funds.
Here is an expected timeline of events for the bridge replacement:
Finals plans submitted by E.L. Robinson: Complete
Request for quotes from contractors: Complete
Open quotes: Complete
Award contract: Complete
Contract signed: Complete
Begin construction: October 13
Completion date: November 26